Internet Acceptable On-line Behavior Policy
Access to the Internet is a privilege. Individual users of the network are responsible for their use of the network. The use of the network must be in support of education and research and must be consistent with academic actions of the school and will be under the supervision of Assabet Valley faculty and staff. Use of the network for any illegal or commercial activities is prohibited.
1. Network storage areas may be treated like school lockers. Network administrators may review files and communications to maintain system integrity and ensure that users are using the system responsibly. Users should not expect that files will always be private.
2. The following are not permitted:
- Sending or displaying offensive messages or pictures
- Using obscene language
- Harassing, insulting, or attacking others
- Damaging computers, computer systems, or computer networks
- Violating copyright laws
- Using another′s password
- Trespassing in another′s folders, work or files
- Intentionally wasting limited resources, including through the use of "chain letters" and messages broadcasted to mailing lists or individuals
- Employing the network for commercial purposes
- Revealing the personal address or phone number of yourself or any other person without permission from your instruction
- Participating in chat room
- Using personal email or instant messaging
3. Violations may result in loss of access as well as other disciplinary or legal actions.
Assabet Valley has supplied students with a login account to access and save information that is directly related to their schoolwork on their local area network and to access the Internet throughout the school network for research related to school projects and other school related purposes. Students are not to download, install or run software of any kind on the School District computers without expressed permission and only if such software is directly related to a school project.
Students are responsible for any activity done under their Login Account and, therefore, should not share their password. In order to maintain privacy of their own files, students must log off whenever they leave a workstation to which they have logged on. Students may not make additions, changes or deletions to any computer hardware or software belonging to the Assabet Valley Regional School District.