"Those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it!"
- George Santayana
Scenes from Washington DC 2010!! Check out their wikispace blog!
The courses required for all students at Assabet Valley are a two-year United States History sequence, World History with a geographical approach and Government and Society. We also offer challenging electives for students who wish to pursue social studies in more depth. Through this curriculum, and considering each student's individual needs, students will be prepared to undertake the rights and responsibilities of citizenship, to enter the world of work, and to pursue higher education.
With the adoption of a four-year Social Studies requirement, we envision that the required and elective courses will function as a continuum addressing the six strands of learning identified by the Massachusetts Social Studies Curriculum Framework Content Standards. The six theme based areas include:
- Time, Continuity and Change
- People and Environments
- Power and Participation
- Production and Distribution
- Cultures and Identities
Our goal as a department is to impress upon students a "connectedness" in the various disciplines called the Social Studies.
- United States History I
- United States History I Honors
- United States History II
- United States History II Honors
- Modern World Geopolitics
- Honors Modern World Geopolitics
- Government and Society
- Honors Government and Society
- Advanced Placement U.S. Government
- Advanced Placement United States History (Grade 10)
- Psychology of the Workplace (Grade 11)
- Contemporary Issues (Grade 12)
- War in Film (Grades 11,12)
- Cold War Era (Grades 11, 12)
- Leadership - Life Development and Community Responsibility (Grades 10,11,12)