The Assabet Valley Regional Technical School District Committee is accepting applications to construct a residential structure containing no more than 2,400 square feet of living space, or a garage/addition no more than 1800 square feet in a member town of the District (Berlin, Hudson, Maynard, Marlborough, Northborough, Southborough and Westborough).
Application Due Date: January 31, 2014 before 2:15 pm
Attention: Director of Business Operations
Residential Building Project selected by lottery from qualified applications
Notification Date: prior to March 1, 2015
2011 Building Project - 61 Emmett Street, Marlborough, MA
No applicant may be an employee of the District, a School Committee member, or an immediate family member of either group. For purposes of this application process, an immediate family member is defined as a spouse, parent, sibling, child, or member of the individual’s household. Applicants are prohibited from entering into any agreement, arrangement, or contract with any District employee or member of the District School Committee to perform consulting and/or tradesman/contractor duties for any portion of this project—before, during, or after the District’s formal involvement.
Applications for a home building project will include but not be limited to the following:
- Proof of interest in the property to be used as the building site.
- Letter from the appropriate municipal building inspector certifying that the property meets the requirements of local zoning ordinances and building codes regulating the construction of single family dwellings.
- Residence of the applicant. Preference may be given to applicants currently residing in one of the school district communities.
- Statement of eligibility acknowledging s/he is not a District employee, School Committee member, or immediate family member of either group.
- Proof of financial ability in the form of a letter of credit from a local lending institution and/or material supply company and authorization for the District to perform an individual credit check.
- A non-refundable application fee of $50.00. The District may use these funds to defray advertising and other costs associated with the application process.
- A signed statement of intent to use the structure as a primary residence for the foreseeable future and a letter of understanding that there will be financial penalties if the structure is not used as the applicant’s primary residence for a period of five years after construction is completed.
- Preliminary drawings of the project to be built and a plot plan of the site acceptable to the District.
The applicant must also execute the standard house building agreement immediately after selection.
The students in construction trades technical programs at Assabet Valley Regional Technical High School will perform most work on the project. The applicant must obtain subcontractors to perform the remainder of the project including but not limited to insulation and wallboard installation and finishing.